Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Desert Sunrise (nearly missed)

Here we have a partial section of a larger, eight frame panorama that I shot just as the first rays of morning sun were sweeping across the dunes at Mesquite Flat. It was the night to set the clocks back an hour for the end of Daylight Savings time... and since there was no cell phone signal, I thought it would be safe to use the alarm in my phone to wake up for sunrise without changing anything, but somehow the time got set back during the night even without a signal, so we overslept and had to make a mad dash to get out here before the sun.
What a sight to see the whole scene go from dark and flat to brightly side-lit in just a few seconds, revealing all the amazing wind carved shapes and desert colors. I don't know if I will ever do anything with this as far as printing.. there are quite a few tracks in the sand rather bothering me, beginning just at what is here the left edge and continuing into the next section, but I thought it was at least worth a look. If enough people seem to like it I may take the time to do the necessary touch up in order to make a large print. Cropping out the sky is also an option... sometimes I have to look at these things for a few months before I can make a proper decision. (As usual, some nice clouds would have made my day). Look carefully and you can see another photographer kneeling on the crest of a dune over toward the right side, off in the distance.
Nature does not create works of art. It is we, and the faculty of
interpretation peculiar to the human mind, that see art.
- Man Ray

8 comments:

Carolyn Ford said...

That is definitely worth the panic attach for getting out there! Stunning!

Gaelyn said...

I only saw the dunes at sunrise from the campground. But caught them in late afternoon and will be posting that one of these days.
This is a great capture Mark. I love the shadows and don't mind the tracks a bit. In fact I took some shots of critter tracks.

roentare said...

Your work is always true work of art. Beautiful lighting for a sunrise. I admire your deligence to capture this art

Unknown said...

Amazing dramatic shot. I am glad you pointed out the other photographer, it provides a little scale.

Andy Richards said...

Nice, Mark: Morning light and especially that magical period of twilight/alpenglow/and then bathing of sunlight is, in my opinion, "where its at." I have often remarked that a sunset shot is nice, but a sunrise is--well--remarkable. Some of my best memories are of being out with just, me, God and some local wildlife as daytime "happens."

Unknown said...

Beautiful shot. I'm glad you didn't miss the sunrise.

Mandy said...

I didn't notice the tracks until you mentioned them! I can't beleive it gets light in a matter of seconds - that must be wonderful to behold.

The Retired One said...

I loved the shadows in the shot, too!