Sunday, November 7, 2010

Nature's Museum

There is a fairly significant stand of Bristlecone Pines at the far south point of Bryce Canyon, just past the end of the road at Rainbow Point.  It's also the highest point  in the Canyon at over 9000ft (2743m).  I actually had not been here on previous visits... and as I mentioned in my last post, we got turned back while on the way to find a really big area of Bristlecones the day before, so I was determined to at least get to this one, thunder or no... and it WAS thundering, but far enough away to feel somewhat comfortable. Actually this shot would probably not be anywhere near as interesting without the threatening sky.
Most of the trees in this location are fairly young and green, unlike the really gnarly old ones found in the White Mountains of California, as I posted an example of here. I suppose this one keeled over hundreds of years ago and now sits like some abstract sculpture watching over the edge of the Canyon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very very nice Mark.
I've always loved the images of these old trunks and this one doesn't make exception.
And you're right, the strong sky is perfect here !

Gaelyn said...

Excellent capture. I think you're right about the dark sky. These Bristlecones are awesome at all points. I really liked the feel of the bottlebrush-like needles on the young trees, the old and stately look of survivors when half dead yet still hanging on, and the gnarled last skeletons.

forgetmenot said...

Great photo---where do you find all these incredible places and subjects to photograph? That is a rhetorical question--you see things that the "average" person just walks by.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Just beautiful!!!

Ashrays said...

Excellent I especially like the way it feels like you can literally travel along the trunk of the tree into the shot. I don't think I'm talking composition more a 3d feel to the image something I haven't managed to attain yet!

MyVintageCameras said...

We've documented many of the Bristlecone sites here in Colorado. I'll have to look for the one near Bryce next time I'm there. Also some bristlecones at Great Basin National Park in Nevada.

All of these are smaller because they grow faster and died young. most are only about 2500 years old.