Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rainy Grove

A rather simple one from Utah, and not so many leaves left in this particular spot, but this is more about the random vertical lines of the aspen trees than the leaves anyway.  Once again, I shot this rather quickly between rain showers.  I was glad to put up with a little wetness though, because I love the light and colors you get from this kind of mixed-bag weather.
If predictions are correct, we may very well see our first snow of the season this weekend here in the San Jacinto Mountains area of southern California.  I'm kind of looking forward to it... nothing much more photogenic than fresh snow on a forest of pines and cedars, so maybe a chance to shoot some interesting stuff without having to travel... we'll see. Might be only rain and fog at this elevation where we live; we're often right on the rain/snow line early and late in the season, but either way, won't be long before I have some fantastic winter scenery to work with.

14 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Great contrast between the start lines of aspen and the remaining fall colors. I really like the clusters of young saplings with bent trunks that appear to dance. Have fun with the snow. Better you than me.

Kcalpesh said...

Perfect picture to be framed and hung on your wall....

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Exquisite. The colors are so rich and the lighting perfect, but I'm also wowed by the composition. You must have squatted down to get that angle...it's really lovely.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Maybe simple you say, yet it is simple elegance. I love it~

donnie said...

great - has a gentle relaxed order :))

Jackie said...

Simple but very lovely. Oh how I wish I could travel all over like you do.

Perhaps after next year when my husband is not on the road all of the time!!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Robin said...

That is beautiful...!

Unknown said...

Wow Mark that's a very nice one.
I don't know why but something here made me think to some images of the famous baobab trees in Madagascar...

You're right about the rain effect : light and colors are really amazing here the blue looks magic and the orange completes it vividly.

Carolyn Ford said...

What a great scene...so simple, so elegant!

PhotoDiction said...

The absence of undergrowth issues a convincing invitation to being embraced by these wonderful creatures :)

Ashrays said...

simple can often be the hardest to pull off but the most effective... like the way I'm pulled into this one!

daisycoolsite said...

Upload ONE Photo and We'll Donate 480 Gallons of Clean, Safe Drinking Water

Charity water is a non-profit which provides safe clean drinking water to people in developing nations. By uploading ONE picture on Flickr related to water, 480 gallons of clean drinkable water will be donated.

http://budurl.com/ecoblog

Mandy said...

Oh, tht is lovely! I'd love t see a comparison shot in three months time and in fact, again in six and nine months! It is one of those scenes that must really change through the seasons.

Unknown said...

REALLY like this... reminds me of some tree/forest paintings I did as color studies. Was really into Wolf Kahn at the time.

not sure if links are allowed, but more of what I am talking about here.
http://http://ericvansingel.com/?p=43

anyhow, great stuff... really enjoy these photos!