Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bare Bones, III- A Photographic Sketch

Probably my favorite of this quickly shot set from my iPhone; good enough I think, that I will return and re-shoot the subject with an actual camera next time I am here. Maybe try some different compositions, but the shapes and contrasts are ideal for a nice image. I'm planning to experiment with this in the future as a "sketching" tool or "visual notebook" of sorts, to quickly pre-visualize scenes and subjects, helping to decide which are worth returning to and how to set them up for the actual shot... much as a painter would quite normally do. I often spend a lot of time in a new location just wandering around, composing images in my mind and getting a feel for what I might want to attempt at a better time of day, so this could be really useful, especially if I have a laptop handy to download and play around a bit during mid-day "down time".

4 comments:

storybeader said...

I have to say that this doesn't do too much for me. Not excited or inquisitive... Maybe because it's just a sketch. Great idea to record your thoughts visually. I know I need to write things down, when the mood strikes me. {:-D

Gaelyn said...

Nature's sculpture.

roentare said...

The texture and the use of black and white creates such a striking image to look at

Meghann said...

How interesting. It does, indeed, look like the bones of nature. Neat!