Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Sea of Clouds

An interesting part of living at 6000' elevation is that the weather sometimes approaches from BELOW, rather than above, as you might normally expect. San Jacinto is a nearly 11,000' mountain island, surrounded by desert on the east and rolling, semi-arid hill country to the west.  Especially as we get into winter, that can create some spectacular effects.  Driving home from town the other day, I noticed this perfect sea of clouds extending as far as the eye could see, from just below where we live... all the way out to the ocean, 100 miles to the west. As soon as I got home, I grabbed a camera and ran up the street to my favorite sunset lookout spot... an outcropping of granite boulders on the side of a ridge just near our house.
I'll have a completely different, and I think more dramatic, interpretation of the scene next.

4 comments:

trav4adventures said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't wait to get up to the mountains this next week. NO SCHOOL, whoo, whoo!

Gaelyn said...

Awesome! Even looks like a wave splashing. Saw a lot of that when I lived high above Wenatchee, WA.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

How spectacular an image!!!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Such a great shot. Cool that weather comes from below sometimes.