Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Rainy Aspens


I still have more Valley of Fire stuff to go over later, but I feel like moving the subject on up to "color country" in Utah for a while, since that was the original objective of my trip.
I was a little behind the curve as far as the foliage in the higher elevations that I prefer this year, but the lower areas were still great and this area below a small lake that I really love is always beautiful, no matter what stage of the season. This image here is one of my favorites from the whole trip.. I've been trying to get that "perfect" aspen image for years and this might be as close as I ever get. I normally don't judge new work so quickly, but this one just hit me right away so I already have it framed and hanging in the Gallery.
It's just an easy quarter mile walk to get into this spot, but it was raining so I was debating to skip the location this year...ended up thinking that since I had come all this way, I had to give it a try.  I had to walk around holding both camera and umbrella together in one hand for half an hour, and kept busy constantly wiping drops off the lens, but I did catch some nice atmospheric shots, including this one... so glad I did it. You just never know where the good ones are going to come from. I normally go for maximum depth of field, but in this case the soft focus colors in the background just seem to compliment the crispness of the foreground trees really nicely. Maybe I should try some hand-held work more often:)

3 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Those aspen in the foreground are sharp against the soft background. I just love the aspen at any time of year. Maybe next year you'll make it to the North Rim for the fall aspen.

Unknown said...

The thorny bushes looks too scary, and the green yellow shrubs depicts that the pic is taken during summer season, when the leaves just sheds off the trees.
hebergement web bas prix

Unknown said...

Very nice one Mark. I had a look to the large view and the short focus is really perfect.