Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Duke, The Art Car

From my "Lost & Found" files: 
Walking down the road after breakfast with a new camera in hand (luckily) I happened upon this artistic oddity of a vehicle circa 2003 in the little mountain village of Idyllwild, CA where we have a home. It pretty much stopped me dead in my tracks because it's not what you would expect to see parked in a small rustic community high in the forest, under the pines and cedars.  "Duke" is basically a mobile, living sculpture created and owned by writer/artist Rick McKinney (you can see the whole car and more about him here). Every square inch is covered with various antiques, junk, jewelry, you name it. Don't know how he keeps it all together.. lots of glue, I guess. Anyway, I was delighted to have such a great subject right at hand to give my new camera a workout and ended up shooting a whole bunch of odd, interesting still life images. This is not my normal genre of work these days, but this one was so unique that I wanted to revive it. 
"The Art Car"-California, 2003

5 comments:

roentare said...

Very interesting documentary

Your style of photography is very evident in capturing the glimpses of life here

storybeader said...

if that second pic is one itsy bit of the car, you certainly did come upon something - a photographer's dream! wow! Will be looking at the whole...

Mark Alan Meader said...

Thanks, James. This was a fun relic from my archives. That's an advantage of doing a blog; I may never have looked at it again otherwise.

SB: Yeah, the sheer density of it all is mind boggling. There are several stories around the web if you Google it. I only learned later after the fact..

Jo Hoffacker said...

Wow, that is too cool! It is great to see two artists in one blog post.

Mark Alan Meader said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jo. I saw the pics of your bulldog on your site.. he's a handsome guy!