Sunday, January 18, 2009

Goodbye, Mr. Wyeth


Andrew Wyeth passed away the other day. Although he was a painter, any photographer aspiring to improve could study Wyeth's work and learn everything they need to know. Anyone can operate a camera, that's the least of what it's about; if you can absorb some of his sense of space, composition and detail, you will make better photographs.
I know that some critics didn't care for his realism in this age of abstraction, but to me he was a profound influence and inspiration. His watercolor sketches are like Chinese brush drawings in their simplicity; with just a few strokes on an otherwise blank paper he could create a whole scene of hills, snow and woods and make you feel the cold. And his tempera paintings have a photographic sensibility and a feeling of story to them that I don't often see in paintings. A love of nature, an amazingly keen sense of observation and dedication to craft really set him apart, in my mind.

7 comments:

bwphoto said...

As another photographer I agree Mark that Wyeth's way of seeing the world was very similar to ours and full of compositional insights that were good tools for any bag.

Ashrays said...

Spot on with the connection between painting and photography although some would say the two do not mix.

It's been a while since I painted but it certainly has helped me with my composition "I think??" others more insightful might disagree. The artist David Bellamy has been a great inspiration for me in both fields.

lunaticg said...

Hi!
Beautiful photograph you have here friend. Condolence from me on Andrew Wyeth...
See you around.

roentare said...

Your writing here provokes some serious thoughts. I love myself to think through composition carefully. So interesting to see you sharing your perspective around.

storybeader said...

I love to look at landscapes, like Wyeth would paint. It is a sad passing...

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You have some amazing shots here Mark. I somehow never seem to find the time to do scenery and I do appreciate a picture such as your header. It is absolutely perfect and you have captured the light brilliantly.

Unknown said...

I found your website on entrecard you got a lot of nice art work.

Justin
http://www.educatedwhore.com